Pathway Summary


Pathway ID
Pathway Title
Social Service Worker to Social Work
Pathway Last Updated

Sending Institution Information

Sending Institution
Centennial College
Education, Community and Social Services
Program Area
Community/Child/Youth Education/Interventions/Services
Program Title
Social Service Worker Diploma Program

Receiving Institution Information

Receiving Institution
Trent University
Arts, Fine Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
Program Area
Community, Social Services/Social Work/Interventions
Program Title
Social Work

Contact Procedures

Recruitment and Admissions Office
Trent University

Pathway Details

Terms for renewal or cancellation

The agreement will be reviewed annually. This agreement may be terminated by either party with one year of notice. In the event of termination of the agreement, every effort will be made to ensure that students currently enrolled in the program will not be affected.

Eligibility for Pathway

To qualify for this agreement, students must have:
-successfully completed Centennial College's Social Service Worker Diploma Program; 
-a minimum overall average of 75%. 

Additionally, students must meet all specific admission and enrollment standards and requirements for the program and will be accepted subject to capacity, if applicable.

Credit transfer

Students commencing studies in the Social Service Worker Diploma program since Fall 2015 will receive the following 6.0 transfer credits:

  • 0.5 SWRK 1000H - Introduction to Social Work
  • 0.5 SWRK 1001H - Introduction to Social Welfare
  • 1.0 SWRK 3000Y - Social Work Field Education Placement
  • 0.5 WRIT 1001H - Write In Time
  • 0.5 SOCI 1001H - Introduction to Sociology I: Critical Foundations
  • 0.5 SOCI 1002H - Introduction to Sociology II: Exploring Social Life
  • 0.5 unassigned ARTS at the 1000 level
  • 2.0 unassigned ARTS at the 2000 level

Students commencing studies in the Social Service Worker Diploma program prior to Fall 2015 are encouraged to contact Trent University for information regarding transfer credits received as part of this articulation agreement.

Credits that must be achieved at the receiving institution

Credits to be completed upon admission to Trent to be eligible to apply for the Professional Years of the program:

  • SWRK 2001H - Skills for the Helping Profession
  • SWRK 2004H - Alternative Theories of Human Behaviour in the Social Environment
  • 1.5 credits at the 1000 level or beyond in Humanities and/or Social Sciences and/or Psychology
  • 1.0 credit at the 2000 level or beyond in Humanities and/or Social Science and/or Psychology
  • 1.5 additional credits

Admission requirements for third year or entry into the Professional Years of the BSW program:

  • Successful completion of SWRK 1000H, 1001H, 2001H and 2004H (or equivalent);
  • A minimum grade of 70% in each of the completed Social Work courses;
  • A minimum of 10.0 credits with a minimum cumulative average of 70%;
  • SWRK 3000Y cannot be used to meet the requirements of the general years.

NOTE: Students must follow the third year application process as determined by the Social Work department. Students applying to the professional years of the BSW program will be evaluated on their Trent academic performance only, as all credits transferred are placed on the academic record as pass/fail. More information is available at Students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor prior to beginning studies at Trent. Degree planning may require the completion of summer courses should students be required to declare an alternate major.

Credits to be completed if admitted to the Professional Years of the program:

Should students be accepted into the Professional Years of the program, they will need to complete an additional 9.0 credits to fulfill departmental degree requirements. 

  • SWRK 3001H - Social Work Communication Skills
  • SWRK 3002H - Social Work Theory and Practice I
  • SWRK 3003H - Social Work Research
  • SWRK 3004H - Social Work and Indigenous Perspectives
  • SWRK 3005H - Diversity, Identity, Social Location, and Oppression
  • SWRK 3006H - Social Work and Social Policy
  • SWRK 3007H - Community Social Work
  • SWRK 4000D - Social Work Field Education Placement 
  • SWRK 4001H - Feminist-Informed Trauma Practice
  • SWRK 4002H - Social Work Theory and Practice 2
  • SWRK 4005H - Social Work with Groups
  • SWRK 4006H - Social Work and Families
  • 1.0 additional Social Work credit at the 3000 level
  • 0.5 additional credit from Social Work or another discipline

Degree requirements are subject to change. Refer to the most recent version of the Academic Calendar for course descriptions and degree requirements, which apply to all undergraduate programs.

Anticipated normal schedule of student progression

Approximately 3 years.

In order for students to move through Trent’s Bachelor of Social Work degree requirements in 3 academic years, summer courses must be completed prior to September enrolment in the program. Students will be required to take 1.0 credit at the 1000 level in Humanities, Social Sciences or Psychology in order to obtain the prerequisites necessary to enter into the 2000 level or above courses in each category. Completion of credits in the summer is not mandatory but failure to complete these courses will result in degree completion taking 4 academic years to meet all degree requirements. It is recommended that students meet with an academic advisor at Trent prior to the summer term that begins in May to determine course selection and sequencing to assist in degree planning.

This agreement accepts students into year two of the Bachelor of Social Work Program. Students are required to apply for entry into year three in order to continue with the professional years of the Bachelor of Social Work Program. Students who are not accepted will need to choose an alternative major to continue with their university studies.  The transfer credits awarded to a student through this agreement will remain with the student in their alternate program of study.  Students who are not accepted will be able to complete either a general or honours degree at Trent University in an alternate program.This is subject to specific program regulation.

Credential(s) to be granted on successful completion of all required components

Bachelor of Social Work (Honours)

Back to Top

Don’t forget: You should always review institution transfer information before you finalize your options. Contact a transfer advisor if you have further questions.